Ever tried amaranth before? It’s like quinoa, but cheaper.The dreamy combination of creamy avocado, juicy grilled tomatoes and crunchy asparagus ensure that you’re getting tonnes of flavour and texture with every single bite – whilst the poached duck egg takes the main stage with that unmistakable bright orange yolk that oozes on top of the nutty grains of amaranth so beautifully. Make this for a savoury bowl of epicness for breakfast to make the daily grind a whole lot tastier!
Here’s what you need:
- 30g cooked amaranth
- 1 duck egg (or 1 pasture raised hens egg)
- 1/2 avocado
- 5 spears asparagus
- 1 handful fresh rocket
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 handful fresh basil, finely chopped
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Here’s what you need to do:
- To make the amaranth, simply place one cup of the grains in a sieve and rinse well. Transfer to a saucepan with 2 cups water and a good pinch of salt before bringing to the boil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until all the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and leave to sit for 10 minutes.
- Arrange the asparagus and tomatoes on a griddle pan with a little olive oil and place under the grill on a medium heat for about 6 minutes, turning half way.
- Meanwhile, heat up a small, shallow saucepan of water until bubbling and crack in the egg. Turn down completely and place the lid on top – leaving to poach until done to your liking.
- Combine the amaranth in a bowl with the fresh rocket and a squeeze of lemon, before placing the avocado, cooked tomatoes and asparagus and poached egg on top. Dress with the garlic, olive oil oil and lemon and season to taste with the basil, salt and pepper. Serves up!