Uh, can we please discuss how under rated congee is? Actually… Let’s not. That would be very boring.
It does make for one hell of a cracking meal though – I tend to make it when I’m going through a ‘flare up’ and want something really comforting and tasty that doesn’t require too much work for the digestion. You can basically eat it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and as this recipe makes a big batch – you can keep some back to heat up over the next couple of days. Wonderful stuff.
- 1 cup short grain brown rice, rinsed well
- 5 cups of broth (you can also use water, but season well!)
- 1 knob of ginger, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- Simply place the rice in a pan with the broth, bring to a boil and simmer with the lid on for 1.5 hours, making sure to stir occasionally to check it's not sticking to the pan. If it looks like it needs more liquid, just add it in as and when.
- About 10 minutes before you want to eat, boil the eggs for 6.5 minutes and run them under a cold tap before peeling. Slice in half, then serve on top of the rice!
- Add any garnishes you want - chilli, lemon, coriander, soy sauce... Whatever works.