I’d never tried making a Chinese style curry before – it was always Thai or Indian. The usuals. The familiars. Standard.
But since starting a low FODMAP diet to help manage my IBS, I have found myself being more of an experimental cook – making the most of the foods I can eat as opposed to sticking to the same meals week in, week out. My parents and I love a spicy curry, so I thought I’d give this one a whirl (sans the onion and garlic) – which works perfectly with pork steaks. They’re inexpensive, really versatile to cook with and pack a lot of flavour – especially with the key ingredient here: Chinese five spice! First of all, what a tremendous blend of flavours – and second of all, WHY HAS IT TAKEN ME THIS LONG TO TRY IT?!
At least now I know, and I’m bloody grateful to the FODMAP diet for introducing me. Hope this one treats you good too!
- 1 tbsp garlic infused oil
- 4 pork shoulder steaks, cut into strips
- 1 good knob of ginger, grated
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1½ tsp chinese 5 spice
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 red chillis, deseeded and chopped
- 3 spring onions (green parts only), chopped
- 400 ml low fodmap veg stock
- splash of tamari (wheat free soy sauce)
- 100ml lactose free milk (or any other dairy free milk)
- 1 good handful bean sprouts
- 1 good handful green beans
- 6 new potatoes, quartered
- 2 handfuls fresh coriander, chopped
- 3 soft boiled eggs, quartered
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the pork steaks, frying on a medium heat until browned.
- Season with the turmeric and Chinese five spice and coriander - then add the fresh ginger, chilli and spring onions, cooking for another few minutes to let the flavours come out.
- Pour in the veg stock and milk and bring to the boil before putting on a simmer. Throw in the veg, add the tamari and then put a lid on - letting it all cook for at least 45 minutes (I left mine for 1.5 hours).
- Once all the veg is tender, serve up with basmati rice and top with the eggs and a flurry of coriander. Season to taste and add lemon for an extra bit of zest. Enjoy!