I’m not sure if there’s anything more ideal than a bowl of this hearty stew now the cooler nights are drawing in. It’s just so easy too: bung it all in a pan, stir around a bit, go and do something productive like watching Only Fools and Horses re-runs and then when you come back – VOILA! A beautiful meal awaits.
Also, you can easily make this vegetarian by using veggie sausages (huh, funny that) – or vegan with tofu etc etc. You do you. Will serve 2 of you very generously or 4 if you’d rather have a smaller bowl and a side of crusty bread. Again, you do you.
But whatever you do… Enjoy. Safe to say stew season has well and truly crept up on us – and whilst it’s bloody freezing outside, at least we have something as deliciously wholesome as a one pot wonder to see us through. May as well make the most of it, I say.
Anyway, have fun with this one!
- 4 pork sausages, chopped into pieces
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- ½ tsp paprika
- 250g passata
- 400ml chicken or veg stock
- splash or Worcester sauce (optional)
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 good handfuls kale or chard
- salt and pepper
- parmesan, to serve
- Grab a large saucepan, heat up some oil on a medium high heat and fry the sausages till browned - then put them in a bowl to one side.
- Add a little more oil, then gently fry the onion until soft - stirring often so it doesn't brown. Add in the garlic, cook for a further 2 minutes then the carrots and sweet potato along with the tomato puree. Stir some more for a minute, then pour in the passata, veg stock, Worcester sauce, oregano, kale/chard, salt and pepper along with the lovely sausages.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer on low with the lid on for about 45 minutes - until the sweet potatoes are completely cooked through.
- Serve up in warmed bowls with mountains of parmesan and DEVOUR!