Come summer, there is nothing quite like a good grilled chicken salad: It’s a strong ‘go to’ lunch contender of mine that is refreshingly light in the heat, yet deliciously satisfying in the way that you never leave feeling like you’ve just chowed down on a mere plate of leaves.
Now you can believe me what I say that I have tried many, many ways of getting just the right technique to nail the right balance of flavours (not too much, not too little) and to ensure that the breast doesn’t go dry and tough, which can be so easily done. Not the one! But I say: Treat that prime cut of chicken with the love and respect that it deserves and it will treat you to a lip smacking dish in return.
It’s finally time to make use of the griddle pan you bought on one of your mad TK Maxx hauls and crank up zee grill: ‘Chicken breast is back on the menu, boys!’
Here’s what you need:
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried herbs (oregano, rosemary, basil)
- good pinch sea/himalayan salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Here’s what you need to do:
- Take the chicken out of the fridge and place in a dish to sit. Make the marinade by combining the turmeric, paprika, herbs, salt, pepper, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl, then rub generously on to the chicken. Leave for 10-15 minutes, or as long as you can, to let the flavours work their magic.
- Meanwhile you can preheat the grill to a medium high heat and get your griddle pan ready for the show down. Lightly grease it with some oil and heat it up till extra hot, before placing the chicken on. Grill on either side for 10 minutes, flipping over every 2 minutes.
- Take off the heat and let it sit for a couple of minutes before slicing in. I like to squeeze in more lemon juice at this point, for extra zestiness!
- Serve with a fresh salad, potatoes, rice, pasta… Whatever the hell you feel like. En-yoy!